TYA Travel Baseball Programs
Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth Baseball Chartered League
The TYA Travel baseball program was formerly established in 2010 when the league identified that many kids within our communities (at all different levels) were interested in more baseball throughout the spring, summer, and fall. Since then the league has established a program that allows for such an environment to co-exist alongside our recreational programs from ages 8 through 17. In recent years, several of our teams have competed and won several tournaments throughout the tri-state area.
We call it travel baseball because that’s what we do and not who we are as a league. Our goal is to not simulate the atmosphere of a sports club but to allow the children within our league the opportunity to compete/play games outside of our communities alongside their friends and schoolmates. So, we “travel” so we can keep our kids playing home.
Structure of Teams
- All TYA league members qualify to participate in our programs starting at the 8U level.
- All teams are coached by members of TYA (volunteers) with the assistance of professional coaches at certain age groups.
- More than one team per age group is allowed.
- Participation in the travel program requires participation in the TYA recreational program from the ages of 8 – 12. Recreational program/games during the spring take priority over the travel program.
Commit, Believe and Achieve
The program requires a higher level of commitment that includes additional practices, traveling to games and tournaments outside of lower Westchester and possibly outside of NY if your child’s team chooses to do so. To be selected to participate on a team, a full commitment in advance is requested and required. This will be discussed more fully prior to your child’s participation in the program.
Alongside their team coaches and professional coaches, teams will work out throughout the winter in league clinics and private team sessions for a period of 8 – 10 weeks to sharpen their skills and strengthen their bodies.
TYA and its coaches feel that every prospective and participating travel team player should be afforded the highest level of skill development and instruction. It’s a great way to teach kids at an early age on how to take care of their bodies and mind, a life lesson.
The coaches of the TYA are aware that children mature (physically, emotionally and socially) at different stages compared to their peers. As such, participation, or lack, on a previous year’s team will not be a determining factor in having the opportunity to participate in the program based on the interest from year to year.
Travel Leagues/Tournaments/Local, State and Regional Events
- Leagues – Participation in the WBA, NYEB, GHVBL and ENY District Travel Leagues.
- Games during the spring will be played on Sundays so as not to interfere with the TYA (8U – 12U) recreational season. Summer and fall will be based on field availability and format of leagues.
- Various Memorial Day Weekend tournaments based on age group
- Cal Ripken Districts, States and Regional Tournaments (All age groups)
- Additional tournaments that TYA has participated:
- Cooperstown Town Dreams Park (12U Only)
- Baseball Heaven – Various
- Cal Ripken Tournaments (Aberdeen, MD and Myrtle Beach)
- Rock Tournaments (Frozen Ropes in Rockland)
- Diamond Nation
TYA takes pride in our program as we have the responsibility to prepare all players for participation in their school programs and hopefully in their collegiate career or just continue playing for the love of the game.
If you have any interest in participating or volunteering in the program, please send an email to
Rafael Rivera – Travel Program Coordinator (203) 400-2074
John Perez – Asst. Travel Program Coordinator
Jerry DeFabbia - Clinic Coordinator / League Athletic Trainer
Current Team Managers
8U – Rafael Rivera
9U – Greg Briante
9U(B) Jim Romeo
10U – Tom Vail
10U(B) Diane Hernandez
11U – John Perez
12U – Frank Raneri
12U(B) Peter Liberati
13U – George Jaquette
14U – Robert Sypher
15U – Anthony Rotunno
16U/17U – Jerry DeFabbia